Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ground Turkey Lucky Lettuce Wraps

These are the salad days. The wrap days. The low-carb dog days of summer where suddenly May's pants don't fit and I am afloat with so much bloat I can be my own life preserver. These times call for a bit of leaning out, post birthday gluttony.

I knew I was doing it: happy hours, pizza, french fries, wine tasting, birthday brunches and day drinking. Who did I think I was? I'm a nimble minx in the gym but a gluttonous ogre in the kitchen.

I started my meal prep this week with an easy favorite - ground turkey wrap. I use these as base for a taco salad, or wrap them up in lettuce leaves topped with avocado and salsa for a Mexican flair. I totally cheated and used Trader Joe's taco seasoning packet this time around. You can totally change the flavor profile though -- go for ginger and teriyaki for a more Asian style wrap, topped with crunch won tons or water chestnuts.

 I had some extra kidney beans lying around, (hey, they are a good carb!) so I threw them in.

Ground Turkey Lucky Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients

 

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 small red onion, diced
Finely chopped garlic (as much as you like, I usually do 2-3 cloves)
1/2 packet of Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning (or any seasoning brand of your choice)
1/2 cup of kidney beans (optional - or other beans if you choose)
Cilantro to garnish (optional) 
1 tbs olive oil

The How-To

  1. In a medium skillet, brown the ground turkey. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat the pan with olive oil and add the bell pepper, red onions. Saute until onions are soft. 
  3. Add the garlic, ground turkey and seasoning according to directions - some call for a few tablespoons of water. 
  4. Throw in the kidney beans. Stir together until mixed and garlic has become fragrant. 
  5. Transfer to a bowl and serve over a bed of salad or wrapped in lettuce with salsa and avocado etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment